This is our two-day weekend introductory sea kayaking course including assessment and our most popular to date. Usually based in Dunmore East, Co. Waterford, it is ideal for first time paddlers to learn kayaking as no previous kayaking or canoeing experience is necessary. The course incorporates paddling techniques, weather and tides, safety procedures, choosing a kayak and environmental awareness.
There are theoretical elements but most of the day is spent kayaking in a calm water environment that is relaxing and fun. Both days must be completed in order to cover all elements of the course and Irish Canoe Union certificates are issued at the end of day two.
We can also run this course over a couple of evening sessions to suit your group needs. Course Duration
2 Day weekend course 10am - 4.30pm
- An understanding of the basic safety rules of kayaking.
- An ability to enter and exit a kayak correctly.
- Forward paddle, reverse paddle and stop.
- An ability to turn while stationary using forward sweep stroke, reverse sweep stroke and a combination of forward and reverse sweep strokes.
- Simple draw stroke.
- Low Brace, low Brace turn and edging while the kayak is moving
- Capsize Drill and deep water rescue
- Weather interpretation, tides and basic map reading