What if I have not paddled before?
No problem! We take all abilities from complete beginners to paddlers of the highest standard. We structure classes so that paddlers of equal ability are kept together. Your first time in a kayak should be an enjoyable experience and that's our priority. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any concerns.
Do I need to be able to swim?
No, but if the thought of being in the water terrifies you completely, it might be a good idea to get a few swimming lessons beforehand. Bear in mind that you will be wearing a buoyancy aid at all times and you will always be accompanied by your instructor. If you are water competent, that is enough (there's nothing wrong with doggy paddling!)- we provide buoyancy aids to all our clients, and capsizes are quite rare, unless you choose otherwise!
What should I wear?
- Shorts or tracksuit bottoms.
- A quick-drying synthetic or fleece top (if you don’t know what synthetic material is, think of something which is almost dry when it comes out of the washing machine).
- Avoid cotton garments as when these get wet, with salt water in particular, it is almost impossible to dry them and they will make you feel very cold.
- Sandals or runners – old ones preferably, which you don’t mind getting wet
- Sunglasses & hat Sun-block & lip screen
- During the winter months you could also take along:
- Thermal undergarments
- An extra fleece top Warm hat
What do I need to bring?
- A towel
- A full change of clothes
- Snacks (chocolate/fruit etc.) – lunch will be provided on full-day trips.
- If you wear glasses it might be a good idea to either bring an old pair or have some way of securing them in the event of a capsize.
What equipment do you supply?
- Sea touring kayak
- Windproof jacket (cagoule)
- Buoyancy aid (Personal Floatation Device)
- Wetsuit if necessary
Can I purchase equipment from Seapaddling.com?
Yes, to view a selection of the various kayaking equipment we have available here at SeaPaddling.com,
please check out our new Online Store »
Please contact us for further details if you require a specific piece of kit that's not listed in our catalogue.
We are open for courses and tours from April 1st until September 30th. Kayak and accessory sales are available all year round.
How do I book a course or tour?
Ring us on: +353 (0) 87 2686529 or +353 (0) 51 393314
Do you give group discounts?
A discount of 10% applies for group sizes of 6 or over. Please feel free to call for a quotation.
Do I need my own transport?
No. Most of our paddling locations are within 7 miles from Waterford city so they are easy to get to by either car, bicycle or some form of public transport
What is the oldest/youngest age limit?
Generally speaking if you’re 13 or over you can manage your own kayak. Kids between 11 & 13 can accompany a stronger paddler in a double kayak, all we need is notice. There is no upper age limit........you’re never too old to learn to paddle!
What if I’m a nervous paddler?
No problem, we have stable single kayaks or double kayaks which are more stable than a standard kayak. Teaming up with another paddler doubles your confidence.
What is there to do in the area?
County Waterford is a paradise for visitors. See our things to do page or links section for more activities including cycle hire, surfing, horseriding and hillwalking A variety of accommodation is available locally to suit every budget.
Is sea kayaking safe?
- Limit the places in each group to ensure you get personal attention.
- Always keep the instructor/pupil ratios in line with Irish Canoe Union standards.
- Use equipment that is modern and in pristine condition.
- Ensure that all trips are carried out in safe weather conditions.
- Use experienced and fully qualified instructors.
- Carry a range of safety equipment and ensure that safety standards are always prioritised.